Residents of the Scottish Highlands can get 50% OFF train travel on Highland rail routes. Get a Highland Railcard today and say goodbye full-fare train fares!
The Highland Railcard is great value if you’re travelling by train for work, visiting family and friends or exploring. With half-price fares and kids for only £2 return, it will pay for itself in just a few trips.
Who Can Apply for a Highland Railcard?
Start saving today if you’re aged 16 and over and living in one of the following postcodes:
- All IV except IV12, IV30, IV31, IV32, IV36
- All KW
- All HS
- PA20 to PA38, PA41 to PA49, PA60 to PA78
- PH16, PH17, PH30 to PH44, PH49, PH50
- FK20, FK21
How Much Money Do I Get off Train Travel with a Highland Railcard?
Highland Railcard holders get 50% OFF discount on train travel.
Up to two kids can travel for a flat fare of just £2 return each.
When Can I Use a Highland Railcard?
The cardholder is entitled to 50% discount on the following fares:
- Anytime Single or Return
- Anytime Day Single or Return
- Off-Peak Return
- Off-Peak Day Return
- Season Tickets (Highland Railcard holder only)
Where Can I Get Discounted Train Travel with a Highland Railcard?
Highland Railcard discounts are available on the following routes:
- Mallaig/Fort William/Oban to/from Glasgow
- Wick/Thurso to/from Inverness
- Kyle of Lochalsh to/from Inverness
The Highland Railcard will save you money on journeys from remote areas to Glasgow and Inverness. Also, it allows you to explore the classic scenic rail routes of Scotland for less.
How Much Does a Highland Railcard Cost?
The Highland Railcard costs just £9 for one year.
How Can I Buy a Highland Railcard?
You can buy a Highland Railcard via Smartcard, post or at a train station.
If you have a Smartcard and live in a qualifying postcode you can buy a Highland Railcard on your Smartcard. If you don’t have a Smartcard you can get one from My Scotrail.
Download and complete an application form and provide:
- Proof of permanent residence in the qualifying area, e.g. Drivers Licence, utility bill or bank statement
- Passport-sized photograph for your photocard
Send the completed application form, proof of address, photo and payment to:
Highland Railcard Applications,
Inverness Railway Station,
You can buy a Highland Railcard at the following train stations:
- Kyle of Lochalsh
- Fort William
What Restrictions Are There with a Highland Railcard?
The following restrictions apply with Highland Railcards.
- You must be a permanent resident at one of the qualifying postcodes
- You must carry your Highland Railcard and Photocard with you when travelling
- No further National Railcard discounts apply
- Valid for 12 months from date of issue
How to Renew a Highland Railcard?
You can renew your Highland Railcard via Smartcard or by re-applying by post or at a train station.
Fancy a trip to London by overnight train? Find out the latest Caledonian Sleeper discount code offers and cheap ticket deals.
More Ways to Save with Railcards
There’s plenty of ways to save money on train travel in Britain with Railcards. In the meantime, check out these promotional code discounts and deals on 2016 National Railcards.
- 16-25 Railcard Promotional Code – SAVE £20 3-Year & 10% OFF 1-Year – best for 16-25 year olds and students
- 26-30 Railcard Discount Code – 1/3 OFF rail travel for millennials aged between 26 and 30 years old
- Disabled Persons Railcard – best for people with disabilities
- Family and Friends Railcard Promotional Code – SAVE £20 3-Year & 10% OFF 1-Year – best for families and small groups which include children
- Network Railcard – best discount offer for people living in London and South East England
- Senior Railcard Promotional Code – SAVE £20 3-Year & 10% OFF 1-Year – best for people 60 years old and above
- Two Together Railcard Promotional Code – 10% OFF 1-Year – best for two people who travel together